Blue Ocean Society for Marine Conservation is accepting applications for Summer 2019 Interns.
Blue Ocean Society for Marine Conservation is a nonprofit organization based in Portsmouth, NH, USA with a mission to protect marine life in the Gulf of Maine through research, education and inspiring action. We achieve our goals primarily through our core programs which involve studying whales from commercial whale watch boats, collecting data on debris found during beach cleanups and offshore, and interacting with thousands of people each year during programs and events.
Blue Ocean Society's Internship Program is structured and designed to provide undergraduates and recent post-grads with hands-on experience in the field of whale research, education and marine conservation. Interns will be directly involved in a variety of programs, including contributing to our long-term studies of several wild cetacean species (humpback, fin, minke whales, etc.) in the Gulf of Maine while working aboard commercial whale watching vessels departing from NH and northernMA. Interns will also assist with marine education through our outreach programs, beach cleanups and at our Blue Ocean Discovery Center in Hampton Beach, NH.
· Collect detailed data (environmental and behavioral) on local marine species and marine debris
· Interact with program participants of all ages and backgrounds
· Assist with beach cleanups
· Interact with visitors at our Blue Ocean Discovery Center
· Enter data
· Attend weekly meetings and lectures
· Complete weekly reading assignments
· Must possess a strong work ethic, have high attention to detail and the ability to work with limited supervision
· Must be self-motivated, enthusiastic, friendly and able to communicate effectively
· Must be 18 or older
· Must have reliable transportation
· Must be available on weekends and holidays
· Must be available to start by May 29, 2019
Prior experience is not required and all training is provided. This is an unpaid position. Interns are responsible for their own housing and transportation. Those who can work full-time hours for at least 10 weeks will be given preference.
Please visit http://www.blueoceansociety.org/internships/
for full Internship information and application instructions.
Application deadline is March 1, 2019.
Blue Ocean Society for Marine Conservation
Gov. John Langdon House
143 Pleasant Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801
Connect with us on social media!