The National Marine Fisheries Service's Protected Resources Division seeks a motivated individual with experience working with Alaskan subsistence hunters and Alaska Native Tribal members to assist in the management of northern fur seals and other marine mammals.
This position is a Marine Mammal Specialist, ZP-0401-2 (equivalent to GS-7/9), with an annual salary of $44,952 to $78,721 depending upon experience. The job will be located in Anchorage and will require frequent travel to the Pribilof Islands.
Duties will include:
- Subsistence harvest monitoring
- Implementation of conservation and recovery programs for marine mammals
- Marine mammal stranding and entanglement response
- Marine mammal co-management with Alaska Native organizations
Applicant qualifications: Applicants must have a degree in the biological sciences, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position, or a combination of education and experience (courses equivalent to a major in a related field plus appropriate experience or additional education), AND specialized experience:
- Working with Alaskan subsistence hunters and Alaska Native Tribal members
- Collaborating or working on teams to complete tasks related to natural resource management
- Applying laws and/or regulations related to natural resource management
- Working independently and identifying ways to benefit a work unit's goals
Please look for the posting at www.usajobs.gov on our about April 27. I think you'll be able to search using one of the following announcement numbers:
NMFS-AKR-2017-0013 (current or former federal civilian employees who hold or held non-temporary appointments in the competitive service)
NMFS-AKR-2017-0014 (any US citizen)
If you don't find the posting using the numbers above, or if you have other questions, contact Greg Balogh at email@example.com or 907-271-3023.
Please forward this email to others who may be interested. Thanks!
Assistant Regional Administrator for Protected Resources
NOAA Fisheries, Alaska Region