ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING POSITIONS – at Seal Rescue Ireland Courtown Harbour, Co Wexford Ireland
1. Animal Care Manager
2. Fall Marine Rehabilitation and Education Internship
Seal Rescue Ireland is a very busy marine animal rescue and rehabilitation facility located in Courtown Ireland. It is the only seal rehabilitation facility in Ireland and responds to strandings along the entire coast of Ireland. Most strandings are Grey and Common Seal pups who have been wounded, orphaned or injured. The organization also maintains an active education program and research program.
Position: ANIMAL CARE MANAGER
Job Summary: This is a full time position which includes free room and board (including basic food) and a small stipend. There is a minimum commitment of 6 months yet applicants that can stay longer will take priority (visa assistance available if required). There are possibilities of position growing into a full time paid position in the future for the right long term candidate. Manage daily operations of the centre (hospital and visitor centre) including manage all aspects of animal care – treatment plans, strandings, inventory, husbandry and collaboration with local vet. This position is split between working with the animals and working on management tasks in the office. He or she will also be required to work closely with the Hospital Operations Manager in all aspects involved in running a wildlife hospital including but not limited to fundraising, budgeting, and event planning. Managers are also responsible for managing the volunteer house.
Requirements: Applicants must have a background or interest in areas of study such as Pre-Vet, Biology, Zoology, or any other animal related field. Previous work with marine mammal rehabilitation is required (prefer 2 years or more). Ability to multitask and have organizational methods is a must considering the complexity of the position. Applicants MUST be comfortable with computers and Microsoft office programs, be comfortable speaking in front of a crowd, friendly with people, be comfortable giving direction/teaching, and self-motivated. Applicants should be agile with a good sense of balance in order to maneuver around the exhibits and holding areas, and must be able to lift 25 kilograms. Applicants must possess the ability to adapt to an ever-changing work environment, and be available to work nights, weekends and holidays. Must be 25 or older and possess a driver's license (international licenses allowed).
· Overseeing daily operations at centre including hospital and visitor centre
· Supervise, recruit, and train interns, volunteers and assistant managers
· Coordinate rescues, releases and other conservation events
· Management of Seal Records Database
· Responsible for managing specific programs within the organization
· Managing stranding network volunteers (400+ volunteers) and monitoring rescue hotline
· Responsible for hospital inventory and stock checks
· Supervising and participating in daily animal diet preparations, routine cleaning of enclosures, medical treatments (injections), tube feeding, record keeping and upgrading animals and diets
· Overseeing maintenance of the hospital and grounds
· Participate in educational talks and tours
· Assisting with fundraisers, educational events, clerical duties and office work as needed
· Representing Seal Rescue Ireland at networking events
Send a resume and cover letter and available dates to: Meadow Greenwood, Subject: Animal Care Manager Position email@example.com Telephone: 087 461 3798 www.sealrescueireland.org
Position: MARINE ANIMAL REHABILITATION AND EDUCATION INTERNSHIP
Job Summary: The facility is currently accepting applications for their internships starting in July and Fall. This is a full time position for a minimum of 12 weeks. Priority will be given to candidates who can stay a longer period of time. This position provides the intern with work experience in the rescue and rehabilitation effort of stranded marine mammals. The candidate is responsible for assisting in the daily husbandry care and maintenance of rehabilitation animals. Participation in the rescue groups educational program and fundraising program are required. Each intern will be responsible for planning one fundraiser or similar project.
Requirements: Applicants must have a background or interest in areas of study such as Pre-Vet, Biology, Zoology, or any other animal related field. Applicants must have the ability to understand and follow written and oral instruction, and have effective communication skills. Applicants should be agile with a good sense of balance in order to maneuver around the exhibits and holding areas, and must be able to lift 25 kilograms. Applicants must possess the ability to adapt to an ever-changing work environment, and be available to work nights, weekends and holidays. Public speaking skills are highly encouraged. Previous animal care and handling skills are preferred.
· Daily animal diet preparations, routine cleaning of enclosures and work areas.
· Assist with rescue and release of stranded animals.
· Assist with the rescue hotline.
· Assist in the care and maintenance of the Center's rehabilitation animals.(feeding, restraining, medical treatment, daily care)
· Participate in educational talks and tours.
· Maintain and update medical records.
· Help to ensure that the rehabilitation clinic and quarantine area is stocked and prepared to receive animals.
· Provide assistance to the Manager and rehabilitation staff as needed.
· Assisting with fundraisers and educational events
· Assisting with clerical duties and office work as needed (it is a small rehabilitation centre so you will gain experience in all aspects of how a rehabilitation centre runs and operates)
· Performs other duties relating to the Center's goals and mission statement as required.
This is an unpaid position. For some applicants Intern housing is available at 85 Euro/Week (includes food) if desired. Interns are responsible for all travel expenses.
Send a resume and cover letter and available dates to: Internship Coordinator Subject: Rehabilitation Internship firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 087 461 3798 www.sealrescueireland.org Find us on Facebook www.facebook.com/sealrescueireland