DAILY ONLINE NEWS FROM AROUND THE WEB

CLICK "ONLINE NEWS TODAY" IN THE MENU BAR ABOVE TO GET THE LATEST IMPORTANT AND INTERESTING ARTICLES, IMAGES AND VIDEOS FROM AROUND THE WORLD.

Saturday, October 06, 2012

WHALE ART: Olympic College is building a Grey Whale Calf from Trash. They need a voice. Have you got it?

This story caught our attention and we went to explore. We found this great art project at Olympic College out in Washington State.  Well they had their opening a couple of days ago but it seems from the information we have that they need a voice for the Grey Whale calf. Maybe you have just the thing among your field recordings.

The Whale Project
Opens: Thursday, Oct. 4 at 4 pm – First Thursday of the Month
The Gallery at OC, OC Bremerton Campus
Closes: Friday, Nov. 2 – Bremerton Art Walk
https://ocartgallery.wordpress.com/

Photos at: http://www.flickr.com//photos/66854129@N06/show/
Read more:  http://www.kitsapsun.com/events/2012/oct/04/9480/#ixzz28Yr09Kht

******************************

The Whale Project
Published by Marie Weichman, OC Art Professor.




Have you ever watched the news or read the paper where you heard a story that moved you to action?  That happened to me not too long ago.  Last year I heard about the dead whale that washed ashore in West Seattle with ten pounds of plastic bags in its stomach.  Several months later I was lucky enough to be on a boat off shore from Maui and a baby whale did a full breach and dive.  It was exciting to say the least.  After that I couldn’t stop thinking about how I, as an artist and teacher, might contribute to the effort to inspire a change in our behavior.  Then, it occurred to me… I am in the quintessentially perfect position to do exactly that – inspire the change many of us already envision.

With that in mind, I adjusted my abstract plan to build a life size baby gray whale during my summer break from teaching to a plan that included a cross-disciplinary experience for myself, my colleagues and my students together as a team project.  With approval and support from The Dean of Humanities at Olympic College, Gina Huston, I established a Sculpture Independent Study course for the Art Department  that would run through the summer and simultaneously provide the Gallery at OC with the 2012/13 season’s opening exhibit.

And that quickly, the Whale Project was born.  This blog site will follow the process and my thoughts as I guide the team through the experience of building and exhibiting our Baby Gray Whale.  I hope you enjoy the ride.  I know we will!

WHALE ART: Olympic College is building a Grey Whale Calf from Trash. They need a voice. Have you got it?

No comments:

Post a Comment