The Provincetown Center for Coastal Studies is seeking two aerial survey observers for the upcoming 2010 right whale survey season. Observers will work with the aerial survey team, which operates between January 1 and May 31 every year, flying aerial surveys over Cape Cod Bay to assess the abundance, distribution, conservation status and behavior of North Atlantic right whales in Cape Cod Bay.
- Participation in aerial surveys, either as the data recorder or photographer.
- Processing of aerial survey data: Entering data recorded during surveys, filling in data tables throughout the season, photo analysis, matching photographs taken on surveys to known, catalogued individuals, updating in--house identification website, helping to prepare data for submissions to the New England Aquarium.
- Keeping up with current issues in right whale monitoring, particularly familiarizing oneself with current entanglement cases and protocols.
Other responsibilities may include:
- Assisting program director and flight coordinator with relevant projects.
- Updating in-house photo catalog
- Finalizing data entry and photo analysis from previous field seasons.
- A degree, preferably in biological/ environmental sciences (required).
- Experience with digital SLR cameras.
- Experience in photo-identification of marine mammals, and matching of photographs (required).
- Data entry; basic computer skills in programs such as Excel and Word (required).
- Aerial survey experience. Must not suffer from air sickness.
- Must work well in a team. Field hours can be long and the winter fieldwork conditions are cold and often uncomfortable.
- Enthusiasm, a sense of humor, attention to detail and willingness to learn.
Housing will be provided for the duration of the field period. This is a paid position.
PCCS has a long history of conservation and research work with the North Atlantic right whale. Details of our work can be found at the following links:
Habitat program: http://www.coastalstudies.org/what-we-do/right-whales/vbhabstudies.htm
Aerial program: http://www.coastalstudies.org/what-we-do/right-whales/aerialsur.htm
Please submit your cover letter, resume, college transcripts, and the contact information for three references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org . The closing date for applications is July 15, 2009. No applications will be accepted after this date.
Please use "Aerial survey observer position" in the subject line of your email.
Ruth H. Leeney, PhD
Director, Right Whale Aerial Survey Program
Provincetown Center for Coastal Studies
5 Holway Avenue
t: (508) 487-3623 ext. 111